Malaysian Recipes - Spicy Prawns in a Sarong
A "Sarong" of fragrant banana leaf adds a decorative touch and a subtle fragrance to the prawns.
but can be left out, if not available.
1 lb.( 500 grams) large prawns, shelled and deveined.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice.
1/2 cup thick Coconut Milk
1 tablespoon Palm Sugar Syrup
1 1/2 inches wide strips of Banana Leaf.
5 Cloves Garlic
6 Red Chillies
2 cm (3/4 inch) Galangal (from Marks & Spencer !!!)
1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 teaspoon dried Shrimp Paste
1) Season the prawns with salt, pepper and lime juice.
2) Chop and blend the spice paste ingredients until fine.
3) Combine the blended ingredients, coconut milk, palm syrup and prawns.
4) Marinate for 4-6 hours.
5) Wrap the centre of each prawn with a strip of banana leaf and secure with a toothpick.
6) Barbecue over very hot charcoal or cook under a grill for about 2-3minutes on each side, taking care not to overcook.
7) Helpful Hint :-
Make palm sugar syrup by simmering 1/2 tablespoon chopped palm sugar in 2
tablespoons water until liquid is reduced by half.
Good Luck and please let me know how you get on !!!
[ Home Page
| Email Me
| Research Project
| Site Map ]